Written by Julie Ortiz on April 30, 2019
Netflix is one of world’s most popular brands. It is currently the leading internet entertainment service with more than 148 million paid subscriptions worldwide as at April 2019. Founded in 1997 by Reed Hastings and Marc Randolph in California United States, the company has metamorphosed from an online DVD rental store to a streaming service with a vast library of movies, TV shows, documentaries and more. The platform supports most internet connected devices including laptops, smartphones, tablets, and set-top boxes.
How Does Netflix Work?
Netflix is basically a subscription service that allows users from most countries of the world access entertainment contents for a single monthly plan. One of the major reasons Netflix has become so popular is the fact that there is always something new to discover. Netflix members in over 190 countries have instant access to great contents from different entertainment industries, updated constantly. The content may vary by region but there is always something interesting for everyone. Subscribed members can always choose how they want to watch the available content with freedom to play, pause, and resume watching without interruptions in the form of commercials or commitments.
Asides from streaming videos online, Netflix members can watch their contents offline. Videos can be downloaded to iOS or Android mobile devices and watched offline. This means members can still watch their favorite shows even where there is no internet coverage.
Where do Netflix get their contents?
Majority of the contents available on Netflix are sourced by making deals with content producers. The company has an agreement with heavyweights like Disney and CW Television Network among several others to get their contents into the service as soon as possible. Asides from the numerous deals the company makes, Netflix has its original movies and shows. It hires top producers and content creators to develop original works that are made available to its teeming subscribers.
How do you gain access to Netflix’s contents?
To have access to Netflix contents you will just have to sign up. Here are the plans offered by the platform at the moment:
- Free trial – Netflix offers 30 days free trial for intending members. Membership will automatically be renewed after the trail period if you enjoyed the service. You can choose to cancel at any point. The service does not attract any contract or cancellation fee
- Basic Plan – this offers 1 screen plan for Standard Definition SD (You will watch on one device at a time)
- Standard Plan – this offers 2 screen plan for High Definition HD (You will watch on 2 devices at the same time)
- Premium Plan – this offers 4 screen plan HD/UHD 4K (You will watch on 4 devices at the same time including High Definition and Ultra High Definition)
- DVD Plan (Available only in the US) – there are options to sign up for DVD-only plan or add DVDs to your current streaming plan if you are in the United States.
Creating account with Netflix is very simple. After choosing the plan that suits you most, you just have to enter your email address, create a password, enter a payment method, and you are all done. You can also choose to cancel the service anytime you want without any repercussions.