“A Star Is Born”, for real!
Written by Alicia Rivera on February 7, 2019
The Silver Screen always mesmerizes us to the core, the epic showdowns, intense drama and of course the pepper of action leaves a long-lasting impression into the minds of the people and this creates a legend. Cinema has given us great masterpieces throughout the century, from the very first movie to this year’s masterpiece every year brings something vibrant in front of the audience. Some even become a case study for film making students, the world of ups and downs and the world of accolades. It is perhaps the most vibrant industry of all. Movies are the stories which can be seen and felt with all the senses, although books and another form of storytelling are respected in their certain areas and in the field of literature, movies have a deep sense of love and compassion.
The reality is that movies are the reflection of literature using all the mediums such as visual as well as the perfect blend of audio. And that’s not all! The best form of creative fluctuation is what movies portray with ease. 2018 has been a great year of masterpieces, creative freedom and touching topics filled to the brim with great performances has once again established the fact that movies are a totally different universe as far as imagination is concerned.
It isn’t just the accolades which get people’s attention, it’s the message it leaves in the society as a whole and bends the boundaries between reality and fiction. The topic of discussion over here would be one such masterpiece from the year 2018, in fact, it should be considered a directorial blockbuster. That visual masterpiece is none other than “A Star Is Born”. So what made this a visual masterpiece and how is it still holding up? That’s the question which will be answered here:-
- The direction: This directorial hit has been the work of Bradley Cooper. Yes, the same sniper ace Chris Kyle’s personification from The American Sniper, Bradley Cooper has mesmerized the audience with his stunning acting as well as directorial skills. The debutant director has cleverly used his experience as well as acting skills in this film, and that’s not just what the critics have to say about but the audience has loved this remake as well. So that means he could be a prodigy!
- The cast: While initially the idea of legendary vigilante Dirty Harry aka Clint Eastwood, this movie saw many actor switches in between until Bradley Cooper and singer Lady Gaga joined forces to make possibly the best music romantic drama. Bradley Cooper himself stars as the male protagonist Jackson ‘Jack’ Maine and Lady Gaga plays the role of Jack’s love interest Ally, both have delivered their great performances and have garnered praise from both critics and audience alike.
- The story: The story follows a drunken musician traversing a twisted path colliding with a waitress and part-time singer on the crossroads of life. Since both share the same musical taste, they fell in love with each other. Ally gets the way of life when she reaches the bigger stage and establishes herself as a popular musician. It is then that things start to take an ugly turn as Jack starts a battle with his inner demons. The end leaves some hard emotions for the audience and intense acting skills from both the artists make this a wonderful movie.
- Cinematography: Matthew Libatiqe shines with his stunning cinematography skills and puts up more intensity in the movie with the camera angles. The blend of different angles and shots has been praised by critics and has really shined for the entirety of the movie.
- Box office collection: While being a budget movie with an initial budget of about $36-40 million, the brilliant usage of resources and acting skills with the perfect blend of songs has enabled it to collect a staggering amount of money. Nearly $409.2 million has been the global collection. Now that’s some serious money making talent. Nevertheless, the film shines and so do its actors and that deserve this treatment on the box office as well.
- Reception: With generally positive reviews from all the scoring critics, like IMDB (8/10), Metacritic (88%) and Rotten Tomatoes (90%), the movie has garnered immense appraise from the online critics as well as the ones present in the printing media. With many magazines and newspaper articles calling it a “great movie”, things surely have worked out pretty well. With immense critical appraise, it is natural that such a movie would definitely go for an award showdown, and it happened for real.
- Accolades: The movie is absolutely a fine piece of art when it comes to critical response. That has been mentioned above already. Perhaps the most important achievement of this movie is the awards it has managed to grab on its very genesis on the Silver Screen. Going for a big trophy definitely adds numerous feathers on the cap. The movie has so far been nominated for 5, 76th Golden Globe Awards including “Best motion picture-drama” and 8, 91st Academy Award including the “Best Picture”. If that doesn’t tell you about this movie then God knows what will, the best thing to do would be to watch it right now!
With releases like this, the film industry has kept its roots intact. Precise and effective storytelling has always been the core factor behind legendary movies. Such an art form should be respected and the work behind the creation of such a movie should be respected as well.